[Dirvish] Hot Swap SATA - Air gap

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Sep 11 06:01:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 04:41:28PM -0400, Damian Cunniff wrote:
> At the risk of sounding dumb (which I am) and drifting off topic (which
> this does) can you explain what you mean by "protected by air gap".

Sorry, I was being "cute" - which is really dumb.  The swapped-out
disks (in this case, in ViPower swap trays) are physically removed
from the system and placed in a locking fire resistant file cabinet.
There is no electrical connection, hence an "air gap" between the
backup server and the rotated drives.  Offsite, under lock and key,
would be even safer, but much less convenient.  Without an "air gap",
the drives are potentially vulnerable.

I rotate 3 backup drives, 500GB Seagates, in a random schedule.  The
drives are labelled "P500, Q500, and R500", and will probably hold
about a year of backups among the three, if they don't fail.  I have
had some backup drive failures ( mostly Maxtors ), but beyond that I
have daily backups going back to ( A200, B200, C200 ) in 2003 .

These drives are all bootable (there is a 4GB bootable partition and
a swap on each one) so I can boot from them and copy images onto a
replacement client drive (which I have done 4 or 5 times now, sometimes
just for practice).  The "copy machine" is isolated from the net, and
I can perform the restores using a live CD if I am really paranoid.