[Dirvish] Use existing backup as initial image

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Tue Jan 16 06:32:43 PST 2007

On Fri 12 Jan 2007, Noel Kelly wrote:

> However the problem is that when I run point dirvish (via ssh) at the
> remote server it insists on copying over all the data again.  I think it
> sees the image that has come off the removeable disk as it does not
> complain about there not being any default images etc and/or ask for --init.

Are you sure it was actually copying all the data?
Perhaps it was simply updating all the local files with the actual
owners/permissions etc. that were lost due to the FAT32 transport.
(Also timestamps may be off by a second.)  It will look as if all files
are being transferred, but actually only a fraction of the bandwidth
needed for a full copy would be used.

Paul Slootman