[Dirvish] Yay! It seems to work so far.

Bernd Haug haug at berndhaug.net
Fri Oct 27 16:17:02 PDT 2006

Dear list,

I told you about trying real UFS for backup dest, backup source
still being HFS+ in my filevault.

I just finished running the second sync, and it was awful fast and
didn't grow the df of the backup disk much.

Then I double-checked using find /...bank.../2006-10-28/tree -links
1 and lo and behold - it contained the expected files, ie, the ones
changed/created since yesterday.

I'll keep watching for problems, but for now it looks great; I might
lose some metadata, but that's still way better than anything I had
so far.

It BTW didn't work with the rsync from fink, but it did with the
stock one in /usr/bin. My patch level is 10.4.8.

[3|4]bhaug at pocketrocket:~$ rsync --version
rsync  version 2.6.3  protocol version 28
Copyright (C) 1996-2004 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
batchfiles,
              inplace, IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.
[3|5]bhaug at pocketrocket:~$

The disk BTW is not USB but FW; I don't know how I could get that
wrong; should not make a difference though!

Thanks for all your help and pointers, special thanks to Dave for
getting me on the right track, namely understanding the HFS+
hardlink weirdness.

If any of you would like to know more about my setup (although I
think all that's relevant is in this message), just mail me off-list.

Yours, Bernd

PS: This is a little OT, but - I just might try to find out about
using UFS for my startup disk; it seems to do links correctly, and
POSIX semantics are *way* more important to me than real resource
forks (apart from the fact that Macs can emulate resource forks with
dot-files on any supported FS, IIRC). I could imagine running into
problems with it, though, because of Unicode normalization (eg., cf
http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-12/0373.shtml) and
case-sensitivity.