[Dirvish] dirvish: no incremental on Mac OS 10.4

Richard Geoffrion dirvish at rain4us.net
Fri Oct 27 10:24:58 PDT 2006

Bernd Haug wrote:

>Richard Geoffrion wrote:
>

>>Ok..... I have the -E options.   I'm running 10.4.7 and have rsync
>>version 2.6.3 protocol version 28.  Even WITH the -E option I am getting
>>FULL backups instead of incremental (or maybe because of it).    Now...
>>the ORIGINAL machine I was setting up with dirvish has a different
>>version of rsync  (2.6.6 protocol ver. 29)  I'm trying to locate it now.
>>

>Thanks for the info; so getting a more recent rsync patch won't help
>I guess. :(
><snip>
>So, judging by the end of your mail, still nothing?
>

>>The thing with MAC files is that the OS seems to be always touching
>>them....this means that they always seem new.  If it's new, dirvish will
>>wanna back it up.
>>

>Yes...but even when the modification and change dates didn't change,
>they still get copied. It's weird. Is there a date stored in the
>resource fork as well?

OK... Per Keith's suggestion I've gone on over to the rsync lists and
been searching.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-January/014352.html  clearly
corroborates our observations that the bug is with OSX and Apple's
"Mac-specific bug due to their extended-attributes code (at a guess)."

<snipping everything else>

The post goes on to tell of the --itemize  (-i) option on newer versions
of rsync that will reveal the mystical secrets of why rsync things the
OSX files are different from the previous backups.    Ok..well maybe not
mystical secrets..but it should at least be revealing.

I will say this.  Never had I had so much useless success.  I'm just
elated and thrilled at finally getting finished the workflow and
procedures that were needed to run these dirvish jobs in the environment
I've been assigned.  My elation coupled with the current and seemingly
insurmountable incompatibilities seems to have driven me a little
loopy.    My wife says I've just gone MAD.  Even so, the little fairies
and I sit up here with the glow of protons lighting our faces as we
search for that someone (smarter than us) who can deliver us from the
evil spell of the forces of JOBS and his wizard, OSXEA.

Yeah...um... I'm gonna go now....  I'll take my dementia to the rsync
list for a while...

--
Ri{twich}chard