[Dirvish] dirvish: no incremental on Mac OS 10.4

Richard Geoffrion dirvish at rain4us.net
Thu Oct 26 16:07:07 PDT 2006

Bernd Haug wrote:
> Someone else wrote:
> <snipping all this other stuff for netiquette reasons...geesh>
>> rsync-option:
>>     -E
>> in your master.conf.
>>

> Neither the rsync in Fink for 10.4 (/sw/bin/rsync, just installed
> it) nor the rsync in /usr/bin/rsync (I used that so far) documents -E.
>
> <snipping excess>

Ok..... I have the -E options.   I'm running 10.4.7 and have rsync
version 2.6.3 protocol version 28.  Even WITH the -E option I am getting
FULL backups instead of incremental (or maybe because of it).    Now...
the ORIGINAL machine I was setting up with dirvish has a different
version of rsync  (2.6.6 protocol ver. 29)  I'm trying to locate it now.

Researching the following links.
http://www.quesera.com/reynhout/misc/rsync+hfsmode/  patched rsync+hfsmode

hmm.. I wonder if my 2.6.3 version of RSYNC ..the one WITH the -E
option  has the same functionality as the 2.6.6 version on the other
mac.  hmmm...

I'm going to download the rsync port from http://www.darwinports.com/
and see how that works.

The thing with MAC files is that the OS seems to be always touching
them....this means that they always seem new.  If it's new, dirvish will
wanna back it up.

my brain hurts and my eyes are dry.  apple/max/HFS aside... which time
does rsync compare??   MTIME?  CTIME? ATIME?   isn't it mtime?  Well
then I wonder if the mac keeps modifying its mtime. (I know not what I
say..but in my current condition it SOUNDS good).

Ok...well.. STILL no luck.  version 2.6.8 from darwinports.com is
exhibiting the same symptoms -- FULL coppies, not incrementals
.  this is either  WITH or WITHOUT the  -E rsync option.

Does ANYONE have dirvish working on mac?

--
Richard