[Dirvish] dirvish: no incremental on Mac OS 10.4

Bernd Haug haug at berndhaug.net
Wed Oct 25 12:35:32 PDT 2006

I'm new on the list, so sorry if I'm running into an ongoing topic
here (I checked the archives as far as they are available for the
search-string "mac").

I had some great experience with dirvish backing up a (Samba)
Fileserver, so I wanted to use it to backup my Mac's home to a local
external disk.

Sadly, all backups have full size. I checked with some files, they
do have the same mtime and md5sums in all trees, but they are stored
at different inodes, making for an unacceptable space consumption.

I tried with local transport (client: pocketrocket.local) and rsync
(client: dirvish-backups, which maps to 127.0.0.1 from /etc/hosts).

Both work in principle, neither does incrementals. Version is 1.2.

/etc/dirvish/master.conf:
- -------------------------
bank:
        /Volumes/Backups_A/dirvish_bank

image-default: %Y-%m-%d
xdev: 1
log: gzip
index: gzip

exclude:
        lost+found/
        *~
        .nfs*
        **/*Cache/
        **/*cache/

Runall:
        home

expire-default: +6 months
- -------------------------

/Volumes/Backup_A/dirvish_bank/home/dirvish/default.conf
- -------------------------
client: dirvish-backups
tree: /Users/bhaug

Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I googled extensively,
read the man-pages, read the guide and searched the list archives,
but still nothing.

I'd really love for this to work; I need decent backups with good
granularity sooner or later, MacBook Pros get so hot that I fear for
my HDD. ;-/

Yours, Bernd