[Dirvish] Using removable storage and Dirvish

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 12:45:44 EST 2006

# from Lee Sanders
# on Friday 24 February 2006 01:07 am:

>Currently I have to mount the drive and create the correct structure
> below: /backup/root/dirvish/default.conf
>
>As the drives are new they are blank and this is a PITA. The other
> issue is the drives don't have an initial image created using the
> below. "dirvish --vault root --init"
>
>I'm after something similar to what Shane Spencer asked for on Nov 15
> 21:25:17 2005. A way to put this structure somewhere else, ie
> /etc/dirvish/root/...., and a way to use dirvish without having an
> initial image in the vault/branch.

Presumably, there is a finite number of blank drives involved?  (If not,
I'm sure many members of this list would love to be the end of your
rolling supply chain :-)

Backing up to hard drives is certainly what dirvish is used for.  The
issue here seems to be that you are not able to init all of the drives
at once or for some reason need to init them as they appear?

I think dirvish could use better support for usb drives, but it doesn't
currently have a way to initialize a blank drive automagically.  If
this is an ongoing need in your situation, you may want to put the
above commands in a udev-activated script that checks a newly plugged
drive and initializes it if it is found to be blank.

On a related note, you probably want to setup udev anyway in order to
guarantee that the usb drive is always /dev/backup_drive instead of
bouncing around between sda, sdb, etc.

--Eric
--
Issues of control, repair, improvement, cost, or just plain
understandability all come down strongly in favor of open source