[Dirvish] Using removable storage and Dirvish

Lee Sanders dirvish-337 at ccp.com.au
Fri Feb 24 04:07:37 EST 2006

Hi All,

I have dirvish working (thanks for the guides, so easy to setup) but currently
what I have is not ideal for my situation. I'm wondering if Dirvish is in
fact the correct program to be using.

As a replacement for a clients tape backup we have several HD's in external
USB caddies. The idea being one HD is connected with the others being
offsite. Drives are rotated daily.

Currently I have to mount the drive and create the correct structure below:
/backup/root/dirvish/default.conf

As the drives are new they are blank and this is a PITA. The other issue is
the drives don't have an initial image created using the below.
	"dirvish --vault root --init"

I'm after something similar to what Shane Spencer asked for on Nov 15 21:25:17
2005. A way to put this structure somewhere else, ie /etc/dirvish/root/....,
and a way to use dirvish without having an initial image in the vault/branch.

Any suggestions. I'm happy enough if you tell me this is not what dirvish is
used for and to use other methods to backup instead.

Debian Linux, 2.6 kernel

Regards,
Lee