[Dirvish] Hard Drive Died, and I was shocked to discover...

Steve Ramage dirvishusersspammedme at sjrx.net
Mon Feb 13 01:24:46 EST 2006

I was lying in bed and all of a sudden I hear a static from a radio, I
reach over and my radio isn't on. I'm looking around, maybe I left one
of my speakers on, nope. The sound disapppears for a few moments, I
couldn't sleep so I decide to start checking my e-mail. I open
Thunderbird on my Laptop and there was the sound, my poor hard drive.

Lol after writing my dirvish guide, and setting it all up, I didn't
think twice. I shut down the machine, and played Risk on my desktop till
I got tired and went to bed. I had to wait till payday to replace the
hard disk. When I did I went into my vault and looked at the latest
folder to see rsync_error.

I gasped... but wait the backups run every night and it had been a week
or so. I went back to last thursday, rsync_error. Then Wednesday, then
Tuesday. I was fed up of clicking on each so I highlighted all the
January folders, and checked there size 100 KB.

I highlighted Decembers, and Novembers, each 100 KB. Eventually I got to
Octobers and found a copyy. It turns out while testing and writing the
SSH Guide, I never bothered to switch over the real one. It was of
little comfort to know that the test folder had backed up every day
since then.

Anyway the whole point of my sad story is that I wish Dirvish had been
e-mailing me to a user-definable e-mail address, to let me know. Also I
wish there was a latest-good folder to so that I could get to files very
easily.

Steve R

P.S. I think the data is okay I was still able to boot Windows on it,
and had no real problems since. I'm running an MD5 off my october data
to see if anything that shouldn't have changed, is corrupt.