[Dirvish] dirvish and weeding out duplicates

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Tue Nov 15 11:24:29 EST 2005

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 09:42, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> Hai List,
>
> looking for a good backup system I stumbled upon dirvish.  I've just set
> up two backup systems, so my experience is very limited, but reading on
> the wike i noticed that someone suggested using FreeDups to prune
> duplicate files that dirvish missed as such.  An interesting idea, this
> would make it feasable to have two vaults, one for weekly backups for
> the full filesytem and one for daily backups for a limited part of that
> filesystem without wasting to much space.

freedups exploded when I ran it against a vault with a few million files in
various snapshots.  I wouldn't recommend it as a production solution.  As
suggested by Dave, just ensure you have enough space for your operational
requirements and you should be fine.  The space savings from freedups isn't
worth the enormous memory and processor load it requires.

--

Jason Boxman
http://edseek.com/ - Linux and FOSS stuff