[Dirvish] dirvish and weeding out duplicates

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 15 10:19:38 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 15:42 +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> Hai List,
>
> looking for a good backup system I stumbled upon dirvish.  I've just set
> up two backup systems, so my experience is very limited, but reading on
> the wike i noticed that someone suggested using FreeDups to prune
> duplicate files that dirvish missed as such.  An interesting idea, this
> would make it feasable to have two vaults, one for weekly backups for
> the full filesytem and one for daily backups for a limited part of that
> filesystem without wasting to much space.

<snip complicated sounding solution>

The simplest solution would just be to back up everything every day and
see how much space it really takes. It might not be as much as you fear
since everything is hardlinked.

To achieve two separate backups as described, just create two vaults.
One includes just the limited part of the filesystem - run dirvish every
day on that in the normal way. The other includes the whole filesystem
but excludes the limited part - just run dirvish once a week on that
directly from a crontab.

Or have I missed something?

Cheers, Dave