[Dirvish] stop dirvish but not loose transfered data

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Nov 14 11:55:44 EST 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 01:10:32PM +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
> This all sounds like an excellent idea. I think it can be done with
> dirvish-runall instead of writing a new script, since dirvish-runall can
> take a   --config configfile   option. So it should be possible to just
> set up the lists ABCDEFG etc in separate 'master' conf files and then
> invoke 'dirvish-runall --config ABCDEFG.conf'  etc on the correct days
> from crontab?

Indeed, if the backups always take a predictable amount of time, then
that is a good option.  However, if they take a variable amount of time,
and one wants to perform as many backup segments as possible before
morning, then it is difficult to predict how many to launch at the
beginning of the script or when choosing a config file.  A hypothetical
script that adapts to changing load and backup quantity could perform
the maximum number of backups in the alloted time.