[Dirvish] stop dirvish but not loose transfered data

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 14 08:10:32 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 00:05 -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 11:50:46PM -0200, Joel Franco wrote:
>
> > I've used dirvish a lot time and have a specific need: i wanted to use
> > the full bandwith to make the backup at night but, if the data size is
> > too big to transfer, i want to kill the process at 7am, at which the
> > people start working and need the WAN bandwith to use the web.
> >
> > Thinking about it and, supposing that at certain night a have a data
> > size that i didn't get to completely transfer, i do not want to loose it
> > and start again, but continue at the next night.
>
> Probably the easiest way to do this is to partition your data into
> smaller vaults and run them sequentially using your own script, not
> dirvish-runall.  Let's say you divide things up into 10 smaller
> chunks, each taking about an hour on average.  You launch them
> in a circular queue, perhaps doing A B C D E F G the first night,
> H I J A B C D E the second night, F G H I J A B C D E (all) the
> third night because they are light backups, and so forth.  Complete
> as many 1 hour segments as you can manage, starting the last one at
> 530am or so.

This all sounds like an excellent idea. I think it can be done with
dirvish-runall instead of writing a new script, since dirvish-runall can
take a   --config configfile   option. So it should be possible to just
set up the lists ABCDEFG etc in separate 'master' conf files and then
invoke 'dirvish-runall --config ABCDEFG.conf'  etc on the correct days
from crontab?

Cheers, Dave