[Dirvish] Push instead of pull?

Steve Ramage dirvishusersspammedme at sjrx.net
Wed Nov 2 15:55:59 PST 2005

If your DHCP Server is anything better than a home router, you have the
option to make sticky leases, that is what I do with my notebook, and it
works flawlessly. That said, there isn't afaik a way to push backups, as
this is the exact opposite of dirvishes methodolgy, (correct me if I'm
wrong).

You could modify this guide:
http://www.dirvish.com/StevesWindowsGuide/ssh.html

and instead of having the server connect to the client, use SSH reverse
tunnelling (not in the article but should be), so that your machines
would SSH to the backup server. Then the backup server would connect to
rsync on the reverse port tunnel.

I recommend just figuring out sticky DNS Servers though, but the above
could be done.