[Dirvish] Push instead of pull?

Chris Dunning chris at bluenoteweb.com
Wed Nov 2 14:59:25 PST 2005

I seem to remember seeing this in the documentation somewhere, but I
can't find it now.  Is it possible to push backups, rather than pulling
them?

On my network, I have both wired desktop machines and wireless laptops.
The wired machines all have dedicated IPs, and I pull backups down for
them each night.  This is working great.  The laptops are in and out all
the time, visiting coffee shops, the local college campus, clients,
etc.  I've tried setting up profiles on each of those that would take a
dedicated IP here and use DHCP otherwise, but so far that's not working
so well.  They do spend the night here most nights.  Is it possible to
run Dirvish on the laptops, pushing the backups to the backup server
each night on cron?  Alternately, is there a way to notify the server of
the laptop's IP address when it logs back in to the network?  I know
that last question is beyond the scope of this mailing list, but maybe
someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance - I'm looking forward to <more> complete backups.