[Dirvish] Progress on 1.3.1

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Mar 31 19:00:18 PST 2005

Eric and I are sending each other a lot of email about how we plan to
use Module::Build (his suggestion FIRST, I was late and clueless)
for the install.  We are learning how to ditch Autoconf and Make
entirely; it will all be Perl driven using the one additional
Module::Build CPAN module.  This will make things *much* easier and
more powerful than the current install.sh kluge, and save Debian
maintainer Paul a lot of work for 1.3.1 and after.  Perhaps Paul
can write up some notes on how he makes the current version Debian
distro compatable, so we can make sure we are doing the right things.

We are also agreed that we will eventually rewrite this whole thing
using Perl object-oriented methods.  If you all can wait, the full
conversion may not occur until 1.5 , but you will see parts of the
conversion as 1.3.X evolves (conversion rate is still being discussed).

I expect at 1.5 there will be a new way of doing config files, using
the power of OO, and a conversion program between old and new styles,
so you won't have to think very much, and new users will have to think
a lot less to do a lot more.

When Eric and I have one or two wrinkles ironed out, I will summarize
what we are thinking to the whole list and prepare for the deluge of
helpful suggestions.  We have been staying off the list because 35 out
of 40 of you probably don't care, and I have been lax about setting
up dirvish-devel and dirvish-announce.