[Dirvish] Heads up for DST if you backup to/from FAT/NTFS filesystems

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Thu Mar 31 12:41:05 PST 2005

On Wednesday 30 Mar 2005 00:04, Eric Mountain spake thus:
> I haven't quite figured out yet *exactly* why I've hit a problem in my
> configuration.  Sure, Linux is making an incorrect assumption about Windows
> FAT timestamps being in local time, but from what I can tell, the
> "incorrect" adjustments are always "consistent" (i.e. since DST rules are
> applied correctly, I always see the same "wrong" time).

In case anyone is interested, it's just that Linux applies the same rule as
Windows in this case.  i.e. to calculate the UTC timestamp of a file on a FAT
filesystem, Linux adjusts based on the *current* DST and timezone settings
(stored in sys_tz.minuteswest).  It does not take into account the DST that
was in effect when the file was modified.  Proper timezone awareness is only
available to user space programs, not the kernel.

--
Eric Mountain