[Dirvish] Fatal errors with no apparent cause

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Mon Mar 28 16:37:53 PST 2005

Every night, my dirvish runs produce error messages like this:

dirvish vulcan/home:default fatal error: write error, filesystem probably full
dirvish vulcan/home:default fatal error (12) -- write error, filesystem probably full
dirvish goldwing/var:default fatal error: write error, filesystem probably full
dirvish goldwing/var:default fatal error (12) -- write error, filesystem probably full

It's different vaults every night, but it's rare if there isn't at least one
that fails, but most of them work each night.

In no case is the filesystem full, either in space or (as far as I can
determine with dumpe2fs) inodes:

Free blocks:              27583157
Free inodes:              48609129

I also can't find any hardware errors in dmesg.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate, but (12) is ENOMEM in errno.h, which
doesn't seem right, since the machine most of this is running on (vulcan)
has oodles of memory, and I've never had any problems running a dirvish
instance manually.  I'm guessing that (12) is relating to something else,
but I'm stuffed if I can work out what.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this, or
methods of debugging this problem further?

Thanks,
- Matt