[Dirvish] Heads up for DST if you backup to/from FAT/NTFS filesystems

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Mon Mar 28 08:09:34 PST 2005

Hi,

I don't know when e.g. the US switches to DST (Daylight Savings Time), but
France did so yesterday.

You might want to check out a mail of JW's from Oct 2003 to make sure you're
not impacted if you backup to/from FAT/NTFS filesystems:

  http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2003-October/007465.html
  http://www.google.com/search?q=rsync+hard+link+daylight+savings

I got hit because I have a dual boot machine which has the hardware clock on
UTC.  I run dirvish under Linux and backup part of the Windows ME FAT
filesystem (My Docs).  rsync considered that all files had changed and
created a new copy of all files on the backup.

The fix was of course to add:

rsync-option:
 --modify-window=3600

to the conf file for the MyDocs backup.  Note that I don't need 3601": 3600"
is sufficient, since the *target* for the backup is a filesystem with
below-the-second timestamp accuracy).

Cheers,
Eric
--