[Dirvish] Where to put the libraries

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Mon Mar 28 03:46:16 PST 2005

On Monday 28 Mar 2005 10:12, Keith Lofstrom spake thus:
> One question remains - where to instruct Build to put the shared code
> library dirvishlib.pl .
>
> If I understand the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard correctly
> ( http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.pdf ), the library belongs
> in /usr/share/dirvish/dirvishlib.pl, or alternately in the /usr/local
> tree at /usr/local/share/dirvish/dirvishlib.pl .  We do not want to
> make a package out of it (we want to share some global variables and

I don't follow you here.  Why not?  On the contrary, it *should* be a package,
and it *should* go in the standard Perl directories for this (c.f.
Module::Build documentation regarding this).  BTW, Module::Build installs
packages in the right place all by itself if you let it do so (and in such a
way that package maintainers don't get headaches).

You might want to re-read my previous postings on the Module::Build subject
(if you remember, I posted a dirvish 1.3.0 experimental a while back which
used that module for installation).

> not make a private name space) and we do not want to put it in the

If we package it correctly, then we would have a private name space and get
rid of global variables.

> /usr/lib/perl5 tree, because it is dirvish specific.  So what do you

By squirrelling it away in a corner and not making a package out of it, you
prevent others from writing their own front-ends (or whatever) in a way that
re-uses the dirvish code intelligently.

> think?  /usr/share?  /usr/lib?  /opt/bork/bork/bork?  Elsewhere?
>
> It is important to get this right, so we have a stable base to build
> new dirvish apps on.
>
> Keith

Cheers,
Eric