[Dirvish] Where to put the libraries

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 28 00:12:26 PST 2005

I am busily learning about the Module::Build install process for
perl scripts ( http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/Module-Build/ )
and favor it as the install process for the 1.3 version of dirvish.
Installation will consist of installing Module::Build with cpan,
then running:

    perl Build.PL
    Build
    Build test         (We don't have any tests yet.  Shame on us!)
    Build install

The Build script works much like a make file, except it is a lot more
portable, relying only on the existence of perl and the availability
of Module::Build .  I believe Build can be told to fetch the other Perl
modules we need ( Time::ParseDate, Time::Period, POSIX, Getopt::Long,
and File::Find ), though distro builders such as Paul will determine
that.  "Build install"  will have all the other necessary command
line features to determine where the code ends up.  There is also a
compatability module that can be made to emit some crufty and OS
dependent makefiles - if we must.  There are also techniques to turn
all of this into .deb and .rpm for linux distros with defined target
directories.

-------------------
One question remains - where to instruct Build to put the shared code
library dirvishlib.pl .

If I understand the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard correctly
( http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.pdf ), the library belongs
in /usr/share/dirvish/dirvishlib.pl, or alternately in the /usr/local
tree at /usr/local/share/dirvish/dirvishlib.pl .  We do not want to
make a package out of it (we want to share some global variables and
not make a private name space) and we do not want to put it in the
/usr/lib/perl5 tree, because it is dirvish specific.  So what do you
think?  /usr/share?  /usr/lib?  /opt/bork/bork/bork?  Elsewhere?

It is important to get this right, so we have a stable base to build
new dirvish apps on.