[Dirvish] Baffling rsync/ssh/Cygwin problem

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Mar 26 14:23:34 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 10:48:34PM -0800, Joseph Lamoree wrote:
> I'm struggling with a problem that prevents me from backing up a
> Windows 2000 machine that has Cygwin installed to provide OpenSSH

> I realize this isn't a problem caused by Dirvish, but I hoped someone
> might have experienced troubles like this and have some advice.

Joseph:
Thanks for writing.  I wish I had more to offer, but as you say, this
is a Windows/Cygwin/Rsync problem.  There are some members of this list
that will have nothing to do with Windows.  I tend towards that view
myself, but temper it with sympathy for all the people stuck between
their wish to run pure Linux and the reality of jobs that involve Windows.

Speaking practically, you are probably not going to get an immediate
solution.  Steve Ramage has had some success, see for example:

http://www.dirvish.org/pipermail/dirvish/2005-March/000170.html

He is *not* using SSH, if I understand him correctly, and he may be
using WinXP rather than Win2K (not sure).  I hope he is following
this thread and can help you.

Since this is an rsync/windows problem, you may end up going to the
rsync list for more advice.  Wayne Davison is very patient and helpful,
but please take the time to scan the voluminous rsync mailing list
archive using Google, with a search string such as:

site:lists.samba.org rsync cygwin hanging

You will get lots of hits, including some suggestions from jw schultz
himself.  I would love to see someone take his advice in this posting:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2003-November/007727.html

But that is a large amount of work.  Perhaps you will be the person
to do his suggested tcpdump trace, and discover the proximate cause
of the problem.  It may be that certain filenames or data types or
directory structures or permissions trigger the problem.  To start
with,  you should see if rsync always hangs in the same place, or
with the same type of data.  Building the smallest possible data
set that reliably triggers the hang would be invaluable to the folks
that eventually fix it (and it WILL get fixed with such help).

Thank you for the quality of your question, though.  You have
obviously read ESR's guide to asking questions the smart way:

Sorry I can't be of more help.  I encourage all you dirvish/windows
hopefuls to help each other out, and post the details here, as us
pure-*nix weenies aren't going to be very useful.