[Dirvish] Error behavior

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 14 09:49:04 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:42:39AM -0800, Chris Finley wrote:
> What is dirvish' intended behavior when it finds an error?
>
> The Windows registry files could not be copied from the client - which
> is fine. Since it
> was unable to transfer some files, it used an old --link-dest=
> and copied all of the files again.
>
> I think dirvish attempted to copy the locked files again, but the SSH
> tunnel was gone, so it also received a failed connection on the retries.
>
> Does it always use the last successful image for the --link-dest=
> option? What errors will it tollerate and still use the image for the
> link-dest?
>
> Can I keep dirvish from creating an image diretory (with tree, log,
> summary, etc...) if the computer is unreachable (such as a laptop)?

If the image building process is interrupted partway through, or the
machine is not there, the dirvish process will not complete and add
an entry to the $VAULT/dirvish/default.hist file .  The last valid
entry in this file will be --link-dest 'ed to the next image made.

Yes, there will be a stub image created if the machine is not there,
with a log file and summary and empty tree.  That is all typically
under 20KB, so it will not fill up your disk very fast.  However,
if a partial backup is done, you will end up with a partially filled
tree that will not get expired.  You might take a look at

http://www.dirvish.org/wiki?DirvishTidyScript

.. for a script by Jason Cater and Matt Munnich that cleans up these
old images.  I have not tested this script myself, but please do so
and let us know how it worked for you.   If enough people tell me it
works, it will be added to 1.3 and later (though it would be nice to
get it rewritten in Perl).