[Dirvish] TAR - death by hardlink (2)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Mar 12 07:23:17 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:57:51PM -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Well - since IDE disks are cheaper and more forgiving of errors than
> tapes, per GB,  I suggest you just "dd" to another drive in a removable
> tray.  Then put the drive and swap tray in a sealed padded bag.  Archive
> the drive.

BTW, the TAR I am using (FC1 linux) seems to have no problem with copying
a single image out of the dirvish archive.  I just tarred and then
untarred a 13GB daily image.  Now, as far as copying an entire multi-image
vault, that won't happen with TAR or with anything else besides a dd
of the image itself.