[Dirvish] TAR - death by hardlink

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Mar 11 21:57:51 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:48:22AM -0800, Chris Finley wrote:
> I have heard that TAR can die from memory usage with many hardlinks?
> Is anyone backing up their images to tape for permanant archieval?
> Say 5 million hardlinks (35 computers X 15 images X 10000 files).
> Suggested options for archieving?

Well - since IDE disks are cheaper and more forgiving of errors than
tapes, per GB,  I suggest you just "dd" to another drive in a removable
tray.  Then put the drive and swap tray in a sealed padded bag.  Archive
the drive.

Is a disk drive in a padded bag more fragile than a high density tape?
I don't think either one will survive a 3 foot drop - but I would bet
on the cushioned drive.

I have a fireproof safe with archived drives in it.  And I am slowly
copying all my old Exabyte tapes onto disk.

Now, if you are compelled to use tape, I would just dd segments of
the hardlinked drive image onto as many tapes as necessary.  Twice.
Then store the tapes with the drive at your offsite archive.  When
you need to restore, I'm betting you will use the disk drive and
ignore the tapes.  Further, I am betting you do not often test your
tape drive to tape drive physical interchangability, so you might
plan on archiving the actual tape drive with the tapes, sometime
before the drive wears out.