[Dirvish] Windows Rsync Server :)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Mar 6 08:03:36 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 01:58:45AM -0800, Steve Ramage wrote:
> Sorry I made an err, I hope it doesn't ruin anyones good feelings. What
> I found is a working Rsync Server, that allows a Dirvish server to
> connect as a client, to the Windows machine, and pull backups from it.
> In other words, I have my Debian 3.0 box, that runs dirvish, and is a
> nice little happy camper. Then I have a Windows Desktop, and a Windows
> Notebook, that run Rsync on them, so that dirvish can back stuff up on
> them.
>
> I didn't mean to suggest that I had successfully run dirvish on Windows,
> and now had a working rsync client for windows to connect to other
> machines. One reason this wouldn't work is because NTFS doesn't support
> hardlinking files; well actually it does but next to no one seems to
> know this and I doubt dirvish could natively use NTFS hardlinking (and
> no I'm not talking about crosslinked files).

That is good to clarify on the list;  some folks showing up for the
first time might get the mistaken idea that Dirvish could run from a
Windows server.   Of course, the only rational and secure backup
server is a Linux (or BSD or Solaris) box.

Nonetheless, it is still an accomplishment to get rsync working on any
Windows client without fails or lockups.  "Full dirvish" capability
means transferring all the files, being able to run scripts on the
client, and eventually partial or full restores.  Where are you on
that spectrum?

Also, what flavor of Windows are you running?  Win95/98/ME/NT/2K/2K3/
XP/XPpro/Longhorn?  One of the problems we will have advertising a
Windows solution is that there are so many flavors of somewhat
incompatable Windows out there. :-/  Over time, I hope to attract a
sister community of varied Windows users so we can test rsync and scripts
and restores on all the flavors (while gently nudging them towards a
better OS, of course).  Until then, we will be counting on you, Steve!