[Dirvish] Windows Rsync Client

Steve Ramage dirvishusersspammedme at sjrx.net
Sat Mar 5 23:04:50 PST 2005

Hey,

I've been using Dirvish for about 6 months now and its been REALLY good,
short of one problem that isn't that big of an issue, a duplicate image
set being created, the only thing that has irritated me is that in order
to get Rsync working on Windows, in daemon mode, I had to fully install
cygwin, and run rsync 'within' cygwin. There seemed to be no way to get
it to start automatically, all of the Windows Binaries suffered from the
same problem: Rsync worked but if I wanted to throw it in daemon-mode,
it would silently terminate without warning or error. Basically any time
I restarted the machine I would have to do this, or dirvish would fail
and often times I forgot.

We'll anyway as I'm sure you have all guessed, I did find a working
Windows Binary that works fine. It's 'made/released' by a company called
iTEF!X. Now before you get uppity, it is free (GPL&MIT), and is really
just cygwin + rsync, but works fine. It also has is nice in that it sets
almost everything up for you. (It puts rsyncd.conf in your Start Menu,
and creates a service). It seems to do some 'silly' things tho when
setting itself up. First by default, the service is set to run as a
username it creates instead of the system, and tells you to create a
certain username and then make up a password for it, and put it in the
Service Setup. I think a better idea is to just set it to run as the
Local System User like other services. (Make sure you don't hit "allow
service to interact with desktop" as it will bring up a cmd window while
its runnig).

iTEF!X also makes a windows version of OpenSSH, though I haven't played
with it yet, as my backups are all local so I haven't needed SSH.

The link for cwRsync is:
http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6&MMN_position=23:23

Licensing:
http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=10&MMN_position=49:23

It can be downloaded from SourceForge at:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sereds/cwRsync_1.2.8_Installer.zip?download

In my humble opinion I think that this should probably be mentioned
somewhere on the dirvish homepage, as a good resource for windows users.

Steve R