[Dirvish] Dirvish Guide

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Mar 4 07:51:39 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:04:51AM -0500, Jason Boxman wrote:
> I have been meaning to write a guide[1] on using Dirvish for snapshot backups
> since I stumbled through the initial steps of getting it to work in 2003.  I
> finally got around to writing something.  I still need to add stuff on
> installation, security, rsh, rsyncd, and pre/post scripts.
>
> I look forward to comments and corrections.  I'll be at SANS in Blacksburg, VA
> next week, so I may be slow to respond.
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] http://edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/dirvish_backup/
>
> (Feel free to skip the job search page -- It only appears when your REFERER is
> '' or ! edseek.com.)

Great work, Jason!  I would like to keep multiple guides for using dirvish
on the site - Paul's, Jason's, mine, and *yours* - because different people
learn in different ways.  Also, in June I will be able to put corrected
versions of all three Sys Admin articles on the site (3 month blackout
from CMP Media).

I would also like to see some situation-specific "cookbooks".  For
example, large numbers of similar clients using branches, like Nathan
is doing.  Or using LVM and/or RAID.  Or getting rsync and dirvish
working with windoze.  Or adapting to databases of various sorts.
Cookbooks should discuss step-by-step what to do, and also include the
non-dirvish-specific information (perhaps web links) users setting up
dirvish need to know.  Jason's section on setting up ssh is a great
example.

To the rest of you reading this;  you may not have a whole guide, or
even a whole cookbook, in you.  That's OK.  However, if you encounter
anything confusing, and then figure it out, please try to write up a
paragraph or two and mail it to the list, or add it to the wiki.

Thanks again, Jason!