[Dirvish] Recommended filesystem

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jun 17 18:22:50 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 06:57:50PM -0600, Ben Luey wrote:
> I'm finding the Dirvish FAQ a little cryptic on filesystem recommendations:
>
> "While a journaling filesystem is a recommended the journals can have an
> adverse affect on performance"
>
> Any recommendations? Ext2 with fewer bytes per inodes? Ext3? ReiserFS? The
> hard drive will only be used for Dirvish backups, so I have no concerns
> for the filesystem other than what is best for Dirvish.

Ext2/Ext3, no.  They run out of inodes too fast, and it is hard to
predict where to set the inodes/bytes ratio.  They also use up too
much space for directory entries - and you will be making a LOT of
directory entries.

I am using ReiserFS 3, though there may be better candidates.  I have
had one ReiserFS disk go gunnysack on me, unrecoverable.  It took a
hardware-level format to get the disk back, the Reiser tools could
not recover the data.  A good reason to rotate backups.

I hope some of the other contributors have some better ideas.