[Dirvish] my hanging dirvish jobs; root cause found

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Mon Jun 13 10:11:01 PDT 2005

I took me longer than I'd like to admit, but I finally figured out why I
was accumulating dirvish jobs that never finished:  If you have a
reference backup with a named pipe in it, and you try to make a new
backup where that filename is used for a regular file, rsync 2.6.3 will
hang forever (or as close to forever as I could stand before I rebooted
my thrashing backup server).

Just thought I'd mention this in case it rings a bell with somebody else
in the future.  :-)

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com