[Dirvish] Permissions and access

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Thu Jun 9 11:36:01 PDT 2005

Ben:

On Thursday 09 June 2005 14:25, Ben Luey wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of how Dirvish works is that
> the  backup server logins into the server to be backed up as root and
> rsync's the data. I don't want to give my backup server root access to my
> main server. Is there a way to push the data from the main server instead
> of pulling it from the backup server? Eg: a daily cron job on the main
> server that sends the data to the backup server (and logins in to the
> backup server as a non-root user)?

Yes, Dirvish does initiate a connection to each server, or target, that is
configured to be backed up.

The root user is only used so that all permissions can be retained.  If you
don't need files that a regular user cannot read backed up, you can choose a
user with lower privileges and Dirvish will initiate a SSH connection as that
user instead.

Just specify

client: unprivuser at example.com

--

Jason Boxman
Perl Programmer / *NIX Systems Administrator