[Dirvish] Experimental version 1.3.1

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Jun 9 08:07:31 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:42:32AM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
DH> I think separating out a library, or perhaps more than one library, is
DH> an excellent idea. I also think it would be good to aim to eventually
DH> move to a CPAN style of module packaging.

Eric Mountain has been prodding me towards this, and I think he is right!

DH> ... I wrote it using a 'Dirvish.pm'
DH> prototype that I'd already hacked out. It's very similar to
DH> dirvishlib.pl but more oriented to the standard 'use Dirvish;' way of
DH> coding. I've attached my little script and the module. The module isn't
DH> intended as a serious contribution yet, it's more of a point for
DH> discussion as to direction.

And a good discussion this will be!  I will look at your code.

Right now, instead of a standard module, Build.PL prepends the
following to every dirvish application program:

   $CONFDIR = "/etc/dirvish";            # configurable
   use lib "/usr/share/dirvish";         # configurable
   use      dirvishlib;

I do not store dirvishlib among the rest of the Perl modules because
I expect it to evolve, a lot, over the next few experimental releases.
However, this means I put extra code in Build.PL to configure where
things go, and the above extra code to inform every app about it.

The big jump will come during the 1.5.X series, when we do a complete
re-write of dirvish to use object-oriented techniques.  That's when
I would like to make a CPAN module package, and commit to an API.
Perhaps we can do two different modules, now and later, but this
seems like this could cause confusion.

I look forward to your thoughts about this.