[Dirvish] Stop the expiration [reposted]

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Sun Jun 5 19:35:25 PDT 2005

Jason Boxman wrote:
> Brian Martin wrote:
>
>>So here's an interesting situation.  I've just retired a server that was
>>being backed up with Dirvish.  Right now I've got series of 35 snap shots
>>of the server, each with a 35 day expiration period.  As the days pass,
>>however, those will expire until I get down to just one.  (In my
>>experience, Dirvish will never expire the last image.)  Since they don't
>>take up much more room that a one-day snap shot, I'd rather just leave them
>>all as is until I decide I don't need the back-ups any more.  How is the
>>best way to exempt the entire set of back-ups for a single machine from
>>normal expiration processing?
>

> You could make the vault go away, at least as far as Dirvish is concerned.
> Just move the dirvish/ directory somewhere else.  You could edit your
> default.conf and set a default expiration for several hundred days, which
> will override any global expiration rule for the vault in question.

??  I believe the vault expiration date is defined at the time the
backup is made; changing the expiration rules after the fact has no
effect on existing backups.  Either make move the backups or, if they're
the only ones in that vault, just remove the vault from the dirvish
config files.  Essentially, anything to remove them from the sight of
the expiration process.

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com