[Dirvish] Stop the expiration [reposted]

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Sun Jun 5 15:55:22 PDT 2005

Brian Martin wrote:
> So here's an interesting situation.  I've just retired a server that was
> being backed up with Dirvish.  Right now I've got series of 35 snap shots
> of the server, each with a 35 day expiration period.  As the days pass,
> however, those will expire until I get down to just one.  (In my
> experience, Dirvish will never expire the last image.)  Since they don't
> take up much more room that a one-day snap shot, I'd rather just leave them
> all as is until I decide I don't need the back-ups any more.  How is the
> best way to exempt the entire set of back-ups for a single machine from
> normal expiration processing?

You could make the vault go away, at least as far as Dirvish is concerned.
Just move the dirvish/ directory somewhere else.  You could edit your
default.conf and set a default expiration for several hundred days, which
will override any global expiration rule for the vault in question.

--

Jason Boxman
Perl Programmer / *NIX Systems Administrator