[Dirvish] manual or automatic dirvish --init option

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Jul 28 08:21:35 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:11:14AM +0100, Antonio Cardoso Martins wrote:

> Would it be possible to automatically append --init option to dirvish if
> there is no other branch in the vault?

This is a good question - and one of those "jw schultz probably
had reasons for not doing this, but we may never know" questions.

My guess is that doing an --init accidentally over the top of a
already functional vault might destroy it.  Not Good.  This is not
something I want a program to automatically decide for me;  one
small configuration problem or program bug, and bye-bye backups.

Also, the --init takes a lot longer than normal operation.  The
temptation would be to set dirvish up for regular operation, with
a call to dirvish-runall in cron, then realize after it automatically
starts that your network is tied up for a day or two while all the
first images are built.

It would not be hard to add a --init option to dirvish-runall, or
to add automatic --init to dirvish, but we need to address those
concerns first.

At a higher level, we should probably design an overall configuration
program that helps a new user make proper decisions during setup.
Doing tests, estimating initialization time, estimating disk usage,
suggesting partitions and LVM and file system types, etc.  should
be part of the configuration step.

The problem is that most of us familiar enough with dirvish to write
this code have already set up our systems, and have no need for the
initialization code.  Some itches go away before you can scratch
them.  However, if we bring in enough new users, then one of them
might be motivated to write the configuration program and pester us
to help make it work.  Perhaps that new user is you...