[Dirvish] dirvish write error, filesystem probably full

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Wed Jul 27 08:59:51 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 11:57, Paul Slootman wrote:
<snip>
> I started getting these too on one of my backup systems at work, even
> though the file system had 12% free (that's 126GB ;-). It's also not a
> question of the filesystem being temporarily full, the system is
> monitored by munin and it doesn't get above 92% full.

Obvious question, but are you running ext2/3?  Maybe you ran out of i-nodes?
<snip>
> I have had a reiserfs that reported "full" even though there was plenty
> of space, a reiserfsck fixed that. However I'm not looking forward to
> fscking 1TB :-(

Of course if you're running reiserfs, nevermind. :)

Another remote possibility is a process that's holding onto a large file or
many files that have been unlinked, but not yet freed because the process is
still alive.  (My favorite instance is when X fills up ~/.xsession-errors and
of course unlinking it doesn't help you, you have to zero the file instead.)