[Dirvish] dirvish write error, filesystem probably full

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Wed Jul 27 08:57:06 PDT 2005

On Wed 27 Jul 2005, Zdenek Pizl wrote:

> I need to rsync/dirvish remote server system (about 5 GB of data) to my
> local backup storage as I do with other ones. I've got "Status: fatal
> error (12) -- write error, filesystem probably full". But on the target
> partition there is abou 30 GB free and similar free space is on the
> remote server too.

I started getting these too on one of my backup systems at work, even
though the file system had 12% free (that's 126GB ;-). It's also not a
question of the filesystem being temporarily full, the system is
monitored by munin and it doesn't get above 92% full.

I upgraded rsync to 2.6.5 (was still 2.6.4 on both the client and
server), so I'm waiting to see what will happen tonight.

I have had a reiserfs that reported "full" even though there was plenty
of space, a reiserfsck fixed that. However I'm not looking forward to
fscking 1TB :-(

Paul Slootman