[Dirvish] Vault Unsynced

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Sat Jan 29 14:12:33 PST 2005

Hi Steve,

On Monday 27 Dec 2004 18:54, Steve Ramage spake thus:
> I've noticed a HUGE jump in disk consumption accross all my backups,

Are you using the ChmodOnExpire patch? (http://dirvish.org/wiki?ChmodOnExpire)
It causes the pb you have observed as a side effect *if* you have files which
are read-only for the owning user.  (Which is kind of ironic of course, since
those are exactly the files that the patch was trying to handle
better... :-[ The patch will need a patch...)

If you are not using the above patch, are you certain you don't have anything
changing your backups or the original files in such a way backup files cannot
be hardlinked between backup images?  If you pick a file which has apparently
not changed between 2 backup images, but which is not hardlinked in those 2
backups, then does "ls -l" or "lsattr" show up any differences (other than
inode) for that file?

Cheers,
Eric
--