[Dirvish] rsyncd, the initial colon, and BadShellCommandCWD

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Jan 18 22:41:24 PST 2005

<snip>

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:59:42PM -0500, Jason Boxman wrote:
> For me this begets the question, why would I want to run `rsync` in daemon
> mode?

I would guess because rsyncd.conf allows finer grain control of what is
accessable and what is not, from the client end.  This would mean that
you could back up user files to a server that was user accessable, while
the deep-dark-secret system files could remain inaccessable to that public
server, for example.

If someone actually uses this mode, perhaps we can get a better answer.
Along with a test case for our changes.