[Dirvish] CPU bound or disk I/O bound? (rsh: option respected?)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Jan 8 19:40:37 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 04:17:13PM -0500, Jason Boxman wrote:
> Does setting 'rsh: rsh' work (or using `ssh` with some additional options)
> for anyone else in /etc/dirvish/master.conf?
>
> (It ought to outright fail unless `rsh` is actually configured and installed.)

"rsh: rsh" added to /etc/dirvish/master.conf works for me.  That
is, it *tries* to use rsh and fails, because I have rsh service
turned off.  There is a small chance that you set the "rsh:" option
in both master.conf and in $VAULT/dirvish/default.conf, in which
case dirvish will use the latter file for the option.

You might try setting "summary: long" in your master.conf file,
and see what that tells you.

To speed up transfers when you have mondo network bandwidth, try
adding "whole-file: 1" to master.conf and see what that does.
See dirvish.conf(5) for more details.

You should also try using raw rsync to move some files, and rcp,
as well as native file transfers between disks.  If your target
is a Linux box, think about experiments with "hdparm" to tune up
the disks - that can double the speed.  If it turns out that disk
speed is the issue, you may find yourself going to striped RAID.

All that said, it would be a great addition to the wiki if you
did some careful experiments and wrote up your results.  For those
of us poking along with 100BT, 11MB/s sounds pretty good.

Good luck!