[Dirvish] CPU bound or disk I/O bound? (rsh: option respected?)

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Sat Jan 8 13:17:13 PST 2005

On Saturday 08 January 2005 15:26, Jason Boxman wrote:
> I'm pulling files off a fileserver with gigabit to a box running Dirvish
> with gigabit.  Since upgrading to the faster network cards, I still
> experience relatively slow transfer speeds in the same neighborhood as my
> previous 100Mbps setup.  I checked the network with Iperf and pushed some
> files around via FTP and I can obtain around 20MB/s.

I tried fiddling around with the "rsh:" option in master.conf to no avail.  I
added an entry in my vault's default.conf and it was then picked up by
Dirvish.  I had thought "rsh:" was a global option?

> Might it speed things up if I tell rsync not to bother transferring
> differentials and just kick me the whole file if there's been a change?  I
> have network bandwidth to burn.

Switching my transport agent to `rsh` increased my speed to around 11MB/s,
which is about double what I was originally getting.  (Sigh.  I wish I could
use jumbo frames with my switch.)  Long ago, I had set my "rsh:" to "ssh -c
arcfour" to reduce the CPU overhead for encryption, but it either never
worked or at some point that option stopped getting picked up from the
master.conf.

Does setting 'rsh: rsh' work (or using `ssh` with some additional options) for
anyone else in /etc/dirvish/master.conf?

(It ought to outright fail unless `rsh` is actually configured and installed.)

--

Jason Boxman
Perl Programmer / *NIX Systems Administrator