[Dirvish] examining disk space usage per image...need script or rsync parameter

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Thu Dec 29 18:13:24 EST 2005

Richard Geoffrion said:
<snip>
> But if I go into the image directory.. 'du' calculates ALL of the disk
> space of every hardlink and sums it together!
>
> ----
> root at gwibkp:/banks/bugsbunny/gwifs-home/2005-06-01# du --max-depth=1 -h
> 41G     ./tree
> 41G     .
> ----

Yes, because there is no way to 'see' that it's actually a hardlink when you
perform the operation in a directory deeper than other directories with
pointers to the same inodes.  inode links are implicit information, so you
have to dig around the rest of the filesystem to determine if any other
pointers to your inode exist.  The reported value is even correct, as that's
how much space all the files in that directory consume.